Sunday, March 14, 2021

Selection Sunday Preview, Part 1

So I'm going to try and record my thoughts here as I assemble my bracket for the Matrix, which is due at 6 tonight. I've mostly settled on my top 12 at the moment. 

1-seeds: GONZAGA - Baylor - Illinois - Michigan

I don't think anyone will seriously dispute this. Even if Ohio State upsets Illinois today, or Alabama wins the SEC regular season and tournament titles, I doubt it'll be enough to dislodge Michigan from that top line. Which leads us to...

2-seeds: Alabama - Ohio State - Iowa - Houston

I suppose if the Buckeyes win and Alabama gets beat, some will argue to swap them, but I think the Tide has done enough. Houston is really tough to slot, but I think Oklahoma State's loss yesterday will keep the Cougars on the 2-line IF they beat Cincy today. If they lose, I'm probably going to move Texas up.

3-seeds: TEXAS - Oklahoma State - Arkansas - Kansas

This feels right for the Big 12 teams. Villanova's early exit, Florida State's loss in the final, and Virginia going on COVID leave cost us the only teams who were upwardly mobile enough to knock off the Jayhawks. 

I've also mostly slotted in the 12-16 seeds. Bid thieves Georgetown and Oregon State slot in as 12's. I took North Texas and UCSB as the other 12's. One-loss Winthrop has a shot here too, but I think the other schools' resumes were stronger.

12-seeds (all AQ's): Georgetown, Oregon State, North Texas, UCSB

13-seeds: Winthrop, Abilene Christian, Liberty, Ohio

14-seeds: Colgate, UNC Greensboro, Morehead State, Eastern Washington

15-seeds: Grand Canyon, Cleveland State, Drexel, Oral Roberts

16-seeds: Iona, Norfolk State, Mount St. Mary's, Hartford, Appalachian State, Texas Southern

If Loyola beats Colgate, I plan to put them in Iona's spot, and move everyone up one step.

Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment